Saturday, May 18, 2013

Homemade Laundry Soap

This is one of those things that I only make once per year.  It always holds a lot of interest and when I went back to look at my original recipe I realized my post was in need of some serious updating.

This is now my third batch of laundry soap.  It lasts my family of four about 9 months - 1 year.  I always end up giving some away so people can try it out :)  Seriously, this stuff is amazing!  For about $20 per year and a half an hour of your time you have laundry soap for a year!



Homemade Laundry Soap
3 bars fels naptha (or zote), grated (just give your kids a cheese grater and put them to work!)
3 lb 7 oz box of washing soda
4 lb 12 oz box borax
4 lb baking soda
3 lbs OxiClean
2 - 55 oz purex crystals

  • Just combine everything together and store in a container
  • Use approximately 1-2 TBS per load
There you have it.  Homemade laundry soap.  Super easy and incredibly cheap!  Not to mention it works wonders on our clothes.  That says a lot considering I have a messy 4 year old boy and an 11 year old tomboy who are always in the dirt or climbing trees.  

I also wanted to mention I have an HE top load machine and I have never had any issues.  One of my friends uses an HE front loader without any issues.  From my understanding the biggest concern for HE machines are the suds.  This recipe does not create suds.  So use your best judgement.

If you have any questions, tips, or comments feel free to leave them below.  I would really love your feedback if you have tried this.  And if you have any questions I will do my best to answer them honestly and in a timely manner.  Happy washing! 


Linked to:

Addicted to Recipes Button, Page button I Heart Nap Time Dinner Time Recipes The Chicken Chick Photobucket  Ms. enPlace mop it up mondays It's Overflowing Mrs Happy Homemaker Mixitup Make-Ahead Meals for Busy Moms Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays Mandy‘s Recipe Box Our Delightful Home nap-time creations The DIY Dreamer Cast Party Wednesday Back for Seconds HungryLittleGirl Cheap Recipes and Money-Saving Tips 52 Mantels Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Photobucket What's cooking, love? BWS tips button Photo Friday Blog Hop SixSistersStuff.com Or so she says Super Saturday Show And Tell

4 comments:

  1. I love this powdered detergent! I have been using a liquid version for just over a year now, but occasionally find that my 18 yo son's socks frequently still smell after washing and my whites are not as white as they could be. Not with this! I am excited to get rid of the "funk" in his socks and have white whites! I hope you don't mind my sharing it, with a link to your site?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have no problem with you sharing. This detergent has worked so great for us and has saved us so much money! I encourage more people to give it a try!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for allowing the share! I have already told a few friends to check out your site.

      Delete
    3. That's awesome! I hope they enjoy it as much as we do :)

      Delete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!