Sunday, January 13, 2013

Slow Cooker Tuscan Soup

Featured at:

FlourMeWithLove Button



It's hard to believe that we were pushing 70 degrees just 2 days ago.  Now we are struggling to hit 20 degrees....brrrrr!  Cold days like today are perfect for soup.  I decided to make this awesome recipe I found for Slow Cooker Tuscan Soup that I found over at Dreaming All Day.  I was definitely pleased with this one.  Super easy, minimal ingredients, and delicious!

It's very much like Zuppa Toscana which is my all time favorite.  It wasn't as intensive to make, but many of the flavors were still there.  I think next time I will try adding some kale about an hour before it's done instead of spinach.  Everyone enjoyed this one and I will definitely keep it in mind to make again.


Slow Cooker Tuscan Soup source Dreaming All Day
1 lb good quality italian sausage
1 small onion, diced
1 large potato, scrubbed and sliced thin
1 heaping TBS of minced garlic
4 oz can of mushrooms, drained
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 TBS dried parsley
32 oz chicken broth
1/2 cup evaporated milk
3 oz baby spinach, roughly torn

  • Cook sausage in a skillet until cooked through and using your cooking spoon crumble into bite size pieces
  • Add chicken broth, onion, potato, garlic, mushrooms, sausage, salt, pepper, and parsley to the slow cooker
  • Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours
  • 5 minutes before serving stir in evaporated milk and baby spinach
We served ours with some good crusty bread and you could definitely top it with a little parmesan cheese.  I also used mild sausage because no one here likes spicy food except for me.  But no big deal just use some good quality sausage and you won't miss the spice :)  

Below is the nutritional value per serving.  This recipe yields approximately 6 servings.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 356 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
243
Calories from Fat
92
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
10.2g
16%
Saturated Fat
3.9g
19%
Cholesterol
29mg
10%
Sodium
1375mg
57%
Total Carbohydrates
21.0g
7%
Dietary Fiber
2.4g
10%
Sugars
5.5g
Protein
17.4g
Vitamin A 29%Vitamin C 30%
Calcium 9%Iron 14%
Nutrition Grade B-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points
Bad points


Linked to:

 Ms. enPlace Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays Mandy‘s Recipe Box Nap-Time Creations mop it up mondays Make-Ahead Meals for Busy Moms The DIY Dreamer It's Overflowing The Stuff of Success Cheap Recipes and Money-Saving Tips 52 Mantels Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Mrs Happy Homemaker I Heart Nap Time Mixitup Addicted to Recipes Button, Page button Our Delightful Home Photobucket Gluten Free pantry What's cooking, love? Hubby Made Me Cast Party Wednesday BWS tips button Photobucket The Chicken Chick Accidently Wonderful Back for Seconds HungryLittleGirl The Mandatory Mooch Photo Friday Blog Hop

22 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds perfect. I love all of the ingredients and I'm always up for a new slow cooker recipe! So glad I found you at the Mop it up Mondays Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in love with my slow cooker too! It sure does make life so much easier sometimes :) Thanks for your kind words and have a great week!

      Delete
  2. That looks so good. This will hit this month's menu's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's cold and rainy here. I could use a bowl of your soup right now. Easy and delicious. Thanks for linking up with See Ya in the Gumbo this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on over I will gladly share :) Stay warm and dry! Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, this looks fantastic! My husband and I are all about the crock pot and its been 19 degrees here the past few days...so soup is where its at! Definitely going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soup is definitely perfect for the cold weather :) Hope you guys enjoy it!

      Delete
  5. This looks divine! I love crock pot recipes and this will be on my list to try! I'm going to feature it today...thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    http://www.flourmewithlove.com/2013/01/featuring-you_16.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Thanks so much :) Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have some.... PLEASE!!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality! I can't wait to see what you link up tomorrow evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure come on over! I look forward to the party as well! There are always such great finds there :)

      Delete
  8. Everything about this dish screams my name! Lets hope my result is going to be as beautiful as yours :)
    Thank you for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza - can't wait to see the deliciousness you share this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure they will! It really is a simple soup, but it packs a ton of flavor! Enjoy and have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  9. Erika, this sounds so good - I can't wait to make it! I featured it for Mangia Mondays/January today…thanks for sharing!!
    http://www.shineyourlightblog.com/2013/01/mangia-mondays-january-features.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the feature! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did :)

      Delete
  10. this is indeed suitable in cold weather! I love to eat hot soup to warm my body but what I love about this recipe is not only being compatible in weather but it is very nutritious. Hey, thanks for even including the nutrition facts here... it's very thoughtful of you to let the surfers know how healthy it is for everyone.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!