Friday, October 12, 2012

Vegetable Rice

With the holiday's approaching and colder months ahead I have decided to work on doing more freezer cooking.  Many of our winter favorite dishes freeze incredibly well and I can divide them up into smaller meal portions to fit my family of four.  I have already begun the planning phase and I can't wait to get everything together so I can share the meal plan.

I know I need some side dishes and since I am making vegetable rice for dinner I decide to make a huge batch so I could freeze some to help round out the meals.  We all love vegetable rice and with the rice cooker it is a cinch to make up an extra big batch.  But don't worry if you don't have a rice cooker you can make it on the stove top too.  Just cover with a lid and simmer for 40 minutes, remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes with the lid on.  I just prefer my rice cooker.  My husband is so good to me for buying me that little gadget for my birthday :)



Vegetable Rice
2 TBS butter
2 TBS olive oil
1.5 cups onion (about 2 medium), finely diced
1.5 cups carrots (about 1/2 lb), finely diced
1.5 cups celery (about 5 medium stalks), finely diced
2 heaping TBS minced garlic
5 chicken bouillon cubes
3 cups brown rice
5.25 cups water (can use chicken broth, but omit bouillon)
2 TBS dried parsley

  1. Melt butter over medium high heat in a large skillet
  2. Add olive oil and then saute onions, carrots, and celery stirring occasional for approximately 4-5 minutes or until onion is tender
  3. Add garlic and cook for about 2-3 minutes
  4. Transfer vegetables to rice cooker with a slotted spoon reserving butter and oil in the pan
  5. Add the rice to the skillet and toast stirring frequently for about 2-3 minutes
  6. Transfer to the rice cooker
  7. Add water, bouillon, and parsley to the rice cooker
  8. Give everything a good stir to combine
  9. Close the lid and start the rice cooker 
  10. *****If you don't have a rice cooker transfer to a large saucepan with a tight fitting lid, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, simmer for 40 minutes, remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes, remove lid and fluff with a fork*****
You can definitely scale back if you prefer, but rice keeps really well in the freezer.  This rice is so versatile that you can add some protein, soy sauce, and egg to make a quick weeknight meal of fried rice.  Or do what I am doing and have easy side dishes in a pinch!  

Portion out rice into your desired serving sizes, place in Ziploc bags, label (include date), and freeze (will last 3-4 months).  To reheat run under hot water until you can break up the rice.  Place rice in a microwave safe bowl with a lid.  Add about 1-2 TBS of water (or broth), cover, and microwave until heated through (usually about 2 minutes or so depending on your microwave).  Fluff with a fork and enjoy!

Below is the nutritional value per serving.  This recipe yields approximately 16 servings.


Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 152 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
171
Calories from Fat
39
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
4.3g
7%
Saturated Fat
1.4g
7%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
4mg
1%
Sodium
223mg
9%
Total Carbohydrates
30.0g
10%
Dietary Fiber
1.9g
8%
Sugars
1.3g
Protein
3.3g
Vitamin A 37%Vitamin C 4%
Calcium 3%Iron 4%
Nutrition Grade B
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!