Friday, October 5, 2012

Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Meatballs

What's cooking, love? My kids LOVE meatballs.  It is crazy how much they love them.  If I serve meatballs it is guaranteed I won't get any complaints and they won't last long either.  Even tonight there is only 1 small bowl leftover which will be gone tomorrow I am sure.  At least they are eating :)



Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Meatballs
28 oz package frozen meatballs (or homemade)
15 oz can pineapple tidbits, juice reserved
1 large green pepper, seeded and diced
1 medium sweet onion, cut into large chunks
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar (white vinegar works too)
2 TBS cornstarch
2 TBS reduced sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 can bamboo shoots (water chestnuts would be good too!), drained (optional)

  • Place meatballs, drained pineapple, green pepper, onion, and bamboo shoots in the slow cooker
  • In a small bowl mix together ketchup, vinegar, cornstarch, soy sauce, brown sugar, and pineapple juice
  • Pour sauce over meatballs and gently stir until everything is combined
  • Cook on low for 6-8 hours 
  • Serve over rice
This is such a filling meal and I love the sweet and sour sauce.  It works perfect with meatballs.  So yummy you have to give it a try!

Below is the nutritional value per serving (without rice).  This recipe yields approximately 12 servings.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 328 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
814
Calories from Fat
589
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
65.4g
101%
Saturated Fat
23.3g
117%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
47mg
16%
Sodium
1664mg
69%
Total Carbohydrates
27.9g
9%
Dietary Fiber
0.9g
4%
Sugars
13.2g
Protein
26.4g
Vitamin A 3%Vitamin C 30%
Calcium 11%Iron 16%
Nutrition Grade D
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points
Bad points


Linked to:

 Ms. enPlace Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays Mandy‘s Recipe Box Nap-Time Creations mop it up mondays Make-Ahead Meals for Busy Moms The DIY Dreamer It's Overflowing The Stuff of Success Cheap Recipes and Money-Saving Tips It's a Keeper 52 Mantels Miz Helen’s Country Cottage Thrifty Texas Penny Mrs Happy Homemaker I Heart Nap Time Mixitup Addicted to Recipes Button, Page button Our Delightful Home Photobucket Gluten Free pantry What's cooking, love? Hubby Made Me Cast Party Wednesday BWS tips button Photobucket


13 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a NEAT recipe, and so doable and easy. Love it!Bookmarking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy and yummy! We never have leftovers :) Hope you get a chance to try it real soon!

      Delete
  2. Love finding new crock pot recipes! If the weather would ever get cooler here in South Florida I could actually start trying them : )

    I would love for you to share this with my readers at Mealtime Monday!

    Kaylee
    www.couponingncooking.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for you :( I don't miss SWFL one bit. I love fall and winter too much! The good thing with this recipe is at least it doesn't heat up the kitchen ;) Hope you get some cool weather soon and I am definitely heading over to your party!

      Delete
  3. Love your blog. Very nice. This recipe looks fantastic. We love chicken and I am always looking for something new to try. Cannot wait to try this out. Please visit us. We would love to have you and we are having a great giveaway this week. Register to win - it is under the Televenge post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe really caught my eye. We love meatballs and we love sweet 'n sour anything. It'll be perfect for my family. Thanks for sharing (found you on the Melt in Your Mouth blog hop, BTW. New follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Sinea! I hope you guys get to try it real soon! They are so yummy!

      Delete
  5. Meatballs were always my fav when I was a kid. I've never had sweet and sour meatballs. Thanks for linking this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meatballs are still one of my favorites...I guess that's still the kid in me ;) But these are definitely a good kid pleasing meal :)

      Delete
  6. love slow cooker recipes! especially ones like this that can easily work for holiday parties. please come link it up at my French blogs recipe link up! ~~Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would work great for parties! I will definitely head over there. Thanks for the invite :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Erika,
    Your Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Meatballs look wonderful, they will be in my Slow Cooker soon. Hope you are having a great fall weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miz Helen. I hope you have a wonderful weekend as well and I hope you guys enjoy this dish as much as we do :)

      Delete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!