Saturday, November 3, 2012

Brunswick Stew

*****UPDATE*****

I made my second batch, but this time used the stove top and it was way better!  I brought it to a boi,l used water instead of chicken broth (forgot to defrost mine...ooops!), reduced heat to medium-low, and simmered for about 2 hours.  The results were much better than the crock pot meal.  The stew was thicker and the flavor depth was much better.  I will definitely make it this way from now on.  Yum!

This is my first recipe I am trying of my freezer meals.  If you missed my post on 28 meals in 1 day head on over and check out the post HERE.  If you don't want to freeze this then skip the first two steps and go from there.

I must say this smells fantastic cooking.  The bad thing is I was actually home and my stomach kept grumbling.  It smells delicious!  And I must say the taste was phenomenal too!  This recipe does make a bunch, but that works out perfect for lunches and leftover nights :)  I love double duty meals like this.




Brunskwick Stew adapted from Baked in the South 
1 lb chicken (thighs, breast, tenders, whatever you find on sale)
4-6 oz salt pork, diced small
1 can corn, drained
1 can butter beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 medium onions, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 TBS brown sugar
1 TBS worcestershire sauce
1 tsp hot sauce (more if you want more spice)
2 TBS butter
***ADD LATER***
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 cups chicken broth

  • Place everything in a large freezer bag
  • Label the bag and write instructions to add 3 cups chicken broth and 2 potatoes cubed at cooking time (don't forget to include cooking instructions on the bag)
  • To cook, thaw in the refrigerator overnight, place everything in the crock pot (including potatoes and chicken broth) and cook on low for 6-8 hours
  • Remove chicken, shred, and return to the stew
  • Serve with hot buttered rolls or cornbread and enjoy!


Below is the nutritional value per serving. This recipe yields approximately 10 servings.


Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 376 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
351
Calories from Fat
110
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
12.2g
19%
Saturated Fat
4.7g
24%
Trans Fat
0.1g
Cholesterol
50mg
17%
Sodium
402mg
17%
Total Carbohydrates
41.1g
14%
Dietary Fiber
5.9g
23%
Sugars
12.8g
Protein
21.0g
Vitamin A 15%Vitamin C 60%
Calcium 5%Iron 15%
Nutrition Grade B+
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!