Friday, February 10, 2012

Veggie Packed Soup

I woke up not feeling the greatest and everyone else is sneezing and sniffling so I decided to make a super veggie packed soup.  Hopefully some comforting soup will help knock this bug out!  This is super easy and chock full of veggies.  The base is a kale soup that I bumped up.  Really you can add whatever you desire to this soup and leave out whatever you don't have or don't like.  It looks like a lot of ingredients, but I just dumped in what I had or what needed to be used



Super Veggie Packed Soup
2 TBS butter
2 TBS olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 half red onion, diced (what I had leftover from Chicken Gyros)
1 cup celery, diced
8 oz baby carrots, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced (we LOVE garlic)
1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped into bite size pieces (I used what I had leftover from the Zuppa Toscana)
1 zucchini, diced
1 cup chicken broth (leftover carton from last nights Chicken Enchiladas)
3 cups turkey stock (made after thanksgiving)
3 cups water
3 medium russet potatoes, finely diced
1 can diced tomatoes with basil, oregano, and parsley
1 tomato, diced (could used 2 cans diced, but I had one lonely tomato in the window to use)
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can green beans, drained
1 TBS parsley
2 TBS italian seasoning
1 tsp thyme

  • Melt butter over medium-high heat and add olive oil
  • Add onions, celery, zucchini and carrots and saute until soft about 5 minutes
  • Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute
  • Add kale and cook until wilted about 2 minutes
  • Then add rest of the ingredients, mix well, and bring to a boil
  • Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes until potatoes are tender
I am simmering mine for about 2 hours until dinner time.  I may sneak a bowl before ;)  I did test the broth and it was fantastic.  So warm and comforting!  Perfect for a day like today with everyone is fighting off sickness and the temps dropping into single digits.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!