Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cleaning Supplies ****Update****

It has been a month since I have started making our own cleaning supplies so I thought I would give an update on how I feel they are working.  I haven't made a dent in the laundry soap and I have only used half of the dishwasher detergent.

  • I am on my second batch of the surface cleaner and we are still loving it!  I love the smell of the tea tree oil it just smells so crisp and clean.  It works wonderfully!  I use it on my dining room table, stove, and counter tops without any worry.  It is super simple to use and there are no concerns for toxic chemicals anymore.  I have not had any problems with it so far except my daughter forgot to shake it once when she cleaned the table so it was a bit streaky.  Now she knows and there have not been any other issues.  I highly recommend this surface cleaner and it has easily become one of my favorite cleaners!  Click on the picture to go directly to the recipe.



  • As I said earlier I am only about half way through with the dishwasher detergent, but I am really confident in how it works.  I run the dishwasher at least once per day and sometimes twice.  My dishes come out clean, spot free, and streak free.  Even my glasses come out shiny and sparkly!  I do use vinegar as a rinse aid.  Just top off the rinse aid with vinegar instead of that super expensive stuff you buy at the store.  I am so happy with both and forward to saving lots of money just by spending a few minutes to mix a batch.  Click the picture to get the recipe for the dishwasher detergent I use.  Just a tip if you have hard water double the lemishine.



  • My number one favorite cleaning product so far is the laundry soap.  Seriously 30 minutes at most to make and we are talking HUGE savings!  Not to mention you know exactly what is going into your products.  This soap works so well that I no longer have to pretreat all those little toddler messes.  That means this is a great time saver too!  There is no scent so I use scented vinegar in a downy ball.  I use a medium jug of vinegar and start putting in essential oil until it smells like I want it too.  I used about 50 drops of lavender and maybe 25 of lemon essential oil.  You could use whatever you like which is a great bonus too!  Click on the picture for my laundry soap recipe.



  • I have used up all my air freshener too.  I like it, but I find I would rather put a couple drops of essential oil in my tea light burner or on a light bulb to "smell" up my house.  It makes more sense for me to do it this way because I want different smells depending on my mood.  But if you like the sprays or room mists go HERE to get the recipe.
  • The bathroom cleaner has held up very well too!  I like it and use it for almost everything in the bathroom except the toilet or "deep cleaning" the tub which I do once every two weeks.  It is important to make sure you rinse everything well or else you will have a white film on your counters and what not, but you should be rinsing every time you clean.  It smells good and cleans well.  My daughter is able to clean her bathroom every morning with it and I am not concerned about any harmful chemicals.  Click on the picture for my bathroom cleaner recipe.

  • Another one of my favorite cleaners!  I love the glass cleaner.  No more worries about getting that nasty ammonia spray back in your face.  This stuff works incredibly and it smells great!  My daughter and husband have been able to use it with ease.  My husband did complain that it took a little scrubbing to get the chapstick of the window that my son drew on, but even the mighty Windex would require scrubbing for that mess.  This stuff works just as good if not better than commercial glass cleaners.  Click on the picture for my recipe *NOTE* the picture does not show the rubbing alcohol that is listed in the recipe.  For some reason I forgot to put it in the picture and now I am all out so I can't take another picture.  It does require rubbing alcohol.  That is what keeps it streak free.


  • The carpet freshener works very well.  I like that I get to control the scents.  I only made a small batch so I could switch it up more.  My next batch will be lavender with maybe some tea tree oil.  I also like that you can make it as strong as you like so it doesn't need to be overpowering like the store bought stuff.   Click on the picture for my recipe.

Make sure you find My Road to Savings on facebooktwitter, and now Google+ so you don't miss any great tips and updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!