Friday, December 30, 2011

Two weeks of meals and groceries!


Alright guys if you remember my goal this year to keep spending within $75/week.  I know the year isn't quite over, but this is for my menus starting 1/1/12.  I will list all my items and the meals I plan to make.  The shopping trips today are for the next two weeks.  I have lots of great food and can't wait to start sharing the recipes!

I first went to Hy-Vee to pick up a few items, but the majority of my shopping was at Price Chopper.  I went to Aldi for milk and Hen House for lemons and limes.  The milk cost $4.20 at Aldi for 2 gallons and tax.  The lemons (6 @ 25 cents) and limes (3 @ 15 cents) cost me $2.12 with tax.  Sorry no pictures of those trips ;)


Hy-Vee total spent $45.53
1 - Braided Mozzarella
$7.99

1 - Parmesan Cheese Wedge
$4.19

1 - Hy-Vee Garlic Bread
$1.88

4 - Post Honey Bunches of Oats $2.38
4 - $1/1 Post Honey Bunches of Oats
$5.52 or $1.38 each

2 - Classic Wonder Bread
$2.96 or $1.48 each

2 - 3lb Delight Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
$11.98 or $5.99 each

1 - Broccoli
$2.99

2 - Dole Natural Salad Kits $1.18 each
1 - $2/2 Dole Natural Salad Kits (print limit reached)
36 cents or 18 cents each!

1 - Driscoll Strawberries $4.99
1 - $1/1 Driscoll Product (mailed to me after reviewing their products)
$3.99

Price Chopper total spent $115.02

4 - Diet Pepsi 2 L
$3.12 or 78 cents each

1 - Plain Yogurt
$1.89

1 - Dozen Eggs
$2.09

1 - 16 oz Fresh Mozzarella
$5.59

4 - Kraft Shredded Cheese
$7.52 or $1.88 each

4.24 lbs Trimmed Beef Brisket
$16.92

1.65 lbs Beef Stew Meat
$6.59

1.87 lbs London Broil
$9.14

2 - Best Choice Apple Juice
$2.98 or $1.49 each

1 - Chopped Green Chilies
95 cents

1 - Best Choice 2lb package of Medium Grain Rice
$1.69

1 - Fresh Sweet Basil
$2.99

1 - Flat Leaf Parsley
89 cents

2 - Baby Carrots
$1.36 or 68 cents each

1.54 lbs Bananas
$1.06

2 - Cucumbers
$1.58 or 79 cents each

1 - Green Onion bunch
59 cents

1 - Green Pepper
79 cents

2.27 lbs Roma Tomatoes 99 cents/lb
$1.72

Ground Cardamom
$4.79

Curry Powder
$1.99

1 - 2.25lbs Basmati Rice
$7.95

1 - Kalamata Olives
$5.93

1 - 3 oz jar Capers
$3

1 - White Wine
$2.50

1 - Sherry Wine
$2.50

1 - Garam Masala
$3.65

1 - Coconut Milk
$2.63


Total Spent: $166.87

I went over by $16.87, but I did expect it since I needed to buy specialty spices and rice.  That just means in two weeks I need to come in under.  I am sure I can do it :)

Now for the fun stuff.  The meals I plan to make!  They are not in any specific order and I plan to post recipes after I cook them and we try them.  I am so excited and am thrilled to be preparing better meals for my family.
  • Lemon Spaghetti
  • Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken
  • Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
  • Asian Style Brisket
  • Spaghetti with Tomatoes, Kalamata Olives, Mozzarella, and Garlic
  • Tomato and Mozzarella Pasta al Forno
  • Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
  • Broccoli Beef
  • Mongolian Beef
  • Indian Butter Chicken
  • Crispy Cheddar Chicken
  • Spaghetti with Sauteed Chicken and Tomatoes
I plan to make or order pizza one night each week as well.  I already have everything to make pizza so that will not require another trip to store thankfully :)  Although I can guarantee that we will need to go to store to buy more milk.  We go through two gallons per week so I know I need to pick up two more.  Any leftovers will be used for lunches so that will help stretch the dollar as well.  Not too bad considering my extreme lack of coupons.  I must say I think I may enjoy the freedom of limited coupons.  I missed cooking a wide variety of meals and am happy to be using fresh, non-processed ingredients again!

Don't forget to check back and see how I made the recipes and what my family thought about them!

You can stay up to date by following on Facebook or Twitter!

2 comments:

  1. Milk? So cheap? It's at $4 a gallon here. The nearest Aldi is 58 miles from us. I so wish it were closer. I try and go there once a month to stock up on their butter, cheese, frozen OJ and frozen ground turkey.

    It's worth the trip to be able to save money. It takes 30 minutes anyway to get to a good grocery store, so what's an extra 30 minutes?

    Have a blessed New Year in Sweet JESUS!

    Amanda
    Mathtew 6:33

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's $4 a gallon everywhere else, but Aldi so I am really happy to have one 5 minutes from my house. I am hoping it stays less than $1.99 because I have heard other Aldi stores have raised their milk prices. So far we have been lucky...it even dropped about 15 cents a gallon a couple of weeks ago :)

    I feel for you having to go so far...58 miles is a long trip, but if you are able to stock up once a month on some great deals that is wonderful!

    Thank you for the New Year blessing and I wish the same for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you!